Tuesday 30 September 2014

Chicago Marathon Training update

I set my goal to run the Chicago Marathon over a year ago, when I was training for Detroit and now it is less than 2 weeks away… time flies when you are having fun and training.

My program is based loosely on one from my “unofficial” running coach Kate Laing at Smooth Running, and is based on a 16wk buildup that we used for half and full marathons – the difference is that this year I did most of my training solo.

The amazing part was that I found it easy and enjoyable to train – the early morning weekday and weekend long runs were not a chore but actually things I looked forward to, and as it turns out, I have already logged almost 1300km by the end of Sept which is 200km further than I ran all last year.
My initial goal of 1500km is now well within range, and I expect to exceed 1600km with a stretch goal of 1700km factoring in the unpredictable Ontario winter coming up.

During the training I have managed to run a few races to help with motivation and to provide a changeup to training runs, these included one trail half marathon as well as 2 races with my 13yr old son. Some of these runs were highlights of a very busy summer and I an anxious to hit the road in Chicago with the ultimate goal of my first sub-4hr marathon…

Through it all the biggest factor has been my nutrition. My regimen consists of ENERGYbits before runs as well as every hour, Pocket Fuel nut butters every 45min during runs, as well as RECOVERYbits post run. Another thing I have added is chia pudding made from chia seeds and almond milk which has now become a daily staple in my diet.

The weekly running schedule is at least 3 weekly runs for 6-8km in the mornings, usually at 5am, and then at least one long run (20+km) and this has been relatively consistent all year.

During the last 2 months I have logged over 500km and finished the Nike+ Chicago Marathon 4hr Challenge of 362km in 45 days (I finished in 14th place) which in itself is an accomplishment I am proud of…

My dedication to this has been key to building up the mileage and the confidence that the goal is achievable.




Stay tuned for a post Chicago update in the upcoming weeks.

No comments:

Post a Comment