Sunday 27 October 2013

What's Next?


What’s next?

That’s a question that some runners face almost immediately after completing a race…

No sooner has the accomplishment been realized and the next goal is in question… Do I try to better my time, or is it a longer distance, or where do I race next?

It’s been a week since the Detroit marathon, and my thoughts have gone to will I race it again next year, or will I go after Chicago the week before (or try both?), or what is the next big one?

I took the entire work week off from “training runs” but did manage to drag my butt out of bed Sat. at 5am for a training run with my “half marathon” training group as they are tapering for a race next weekend. The distance was 12k, and the weather was less than accommodating as we faced a significant wind and the first “snow storm” of the fall season. It had started snowing/sleeting around 5am so by the time we hit the road at 7am there was accumulation and a biting headwind but we managed to get in 13+k as my training partner and I doubled back to make sure that the only other runner to brave the conditions was still in good shape.
It is runs like this that makes me realize that I love pushing myself, sometimes for no real reason other than the challenge to step outside the comfortable and do what many others won’t.

My next race is in Dec, the 10.8k Egg Nog Jog, a local favourite with rolling hills and scenic views and warm soup and egg nog post race… and this is a very comfortable distance so weather conditions are virtually irrelevant (I say virtually because it is Dec. in Canada so there is always the threat of bad weather – but that’s the challenge).

After this my calendar is open but will quickly fill with the March 2014 Around the Bay 30k in Hamilton, for my 4th time, and then the decision will be - which spring race do I want to do? Mississauga, Toronto, or Ottawa? Half of full? And what other events are there that I am interested in doing – my hope is that there will be at least 3 half marathons and a full…

The most important question is…. Who wants to run with me?

No comments:

Post a Comment